The Community Club building started out as a school, located behind Monte Vista Baptist Churchon Verner Mill Road. It was originally built around 1948, on property acquired from the Fowler family, as the Mountain Rest School to replace Belmont, Bethlehem, and Village Creek schools. It had four classrooms upstairs and a lunchroom in the basement. According to the "Informal History of Mountain Rest," in 1963, pupils from the Chattooga School in the Whetstone community joined. When the Classes moved downtown to the Walhalla schools, the property reverted to the original owners, who then donated it to the community. The Neville family donated the property on the other side of Verner Mill Road, where the walking trail and Hillbilly grounds are located. The Community Club sponsors local Eagle and Boy Scout troops, who meet downstairs. In addition, it sponsors Hillbilly Day, the weekly Yoga Club, the monthly potluck suppers and programs, and provides the voting place for registered Mountain Rest residents, It is available for rent and has a large stage and kitchen area, The Etcetera Quilting Club meets regularly at the Community Club and provides the spectacular handmade quilt that is auctioned every Hillbilly Day. Sue Queen, remembers that Angela Justus helped organize the grand opening of the walking trail, which was quite an event, with white paper-bag luminaries lining the entire trail. The concession stand serves hot dogs, BBQ, ice cream, popcorn, and homemade desserts and was the original fire department, which is now next door. The short slabs for the small concrete picnic tabletops (which have recently been removed) were poured by locals, according to Ray Queen. The long slabs were from the roof of Arthur Brown's building-now owned by the county- next to the Bantam Chef in Walhalla.
Content copyright . MOUNTAINRESTCOMMUNITYCLUB.COM. All rights reserved.